What's new in ACP?
Analytica Cloud Platform or ACP lets you share and run Analytica models via a web browser, running on a web server. Analytica Cloud Platform 3.0 was released on November 8, 2021. It is a complete rewrite of earlier versions ACP1 and ACP2. It uses modern technologies including html5, React JS, and websockets to replace Adobe Flash and other technologies used in previous versions. This page lists features are new to ACP 3.0 and which features from the original ACP1 are not yet implemented in ACP 3.0. It also lists new features and fixes as they are added by release number.
Like the previous version, ACP1, it contains almost all features of desktop Analytica (DTA) for viewing and running a model in Browse mode, including changing user inputs, viewing influence diagrams, tables, and graphs. But it won't let you edit a model. It also supports some user-interface features that are not (yet) available in Desktop Analytica, including tab-based navigation, and embedding tables and graphs in a diagram.
- 1 Desktop Analytica features new in ACP3.0
- 2 Features not (yet) in ACP3
- 3 Known issues
- 4 Enhancements to ACP
- 4.1 3.1 Build 73:May 3 2022
- 4.2 3.1 Build 70:Apr 21 2022
- 4.3 3.1 Build 66:Apr 14 2022
- 4.4 3.1 Build 61:Mar 22 2022
- 4.5 3.1 Build 59:February 21 2022
- 4.6 3.1 Build 56:January 29 2022
- 4.7 3.1 Build 55:Janualry 14 2022
- 4.8 3.1 Build 51:December29 2021
- 4.9 3.1 Build 50:November22 2021
- 4.10 Build 0.45:October30 2021
- 4.11 Build 0.44:October12 2021
- 4.12 Build 0.40:August 18 2021
- 4.13 Build 0.39:August 9 2021
- 4.14 Build 0.38:July 13 2021
- 4.15 Build 0.37:July 7 2021
- 4.16 Build 0.36:July 3 2021
- 4.17 Build 0.35:July 1 2021
- 4.18 Build 0.34:June 18 2021
- 4.19 Build 0.33:May 30 2021
- 4.20 Build 0.32:May 14 2021
- 4.21 Build 0.31: Apr 29 2021
- 4.22 Build 0.30: Apr 22 2021
- 4.23 Build 0.29: Apr 10 2021
- 4.24 Build 0.28: Apr 3 2021
- 4.25 Build 0.26: Mar 5 2021
- 4.26 Build 0.25: Feb 22 2021
- 4.27 Build 0.24: Feb 18 2021
- 4.28 Build 0.23: Feb 6 2021
- 4.29 Build 0.22: Feb 2 2021
- 4.30 Build 0.21
- 4.31 Build 0.20
- 4.32 Build 0.19
- 5 ACP Sessions and Calculation
- 6 See Also
Desktop Analytica features new in ACP3.0
ACP 3.0 added these features of Desktop Analytica that were not supported by ACP1:
- MultiChoice() a function used in a user input, scalar or edit table, that lets a user select multiple options from a pulldown menu. This useful feature of Desktop Analytica never made it into ACP1 (or ACP2), but is now available in ACP.
- Cell formats: ACP displays cell formats for individual cells -- e.g. background color, font type and size, alignments, and borders.
- Text wrapping: When a cell contains text that is too long to fit within the column width, it wraps the text over two or more lines. (This goes beyond DTA.)
- "Row height and column width: It sizes row height to maximum height of content (including multiline text). It sizes column widths to contain maximum width (up to a maximum).
- Totals Ability to show totals in result tables.
- Ability to sort by column
- More control over the display of pivoters and slicers.
- Data balloons: When you click a data point, bar, or line, it shows a balloon with the associated values.
- Zooming: You can drag a box area (vertical, horizontal or both) to zoom in on part of a graph -- with icons to zoom back out again.
- Pivoters: ACP shows pivot indexes. This is in DTA but was not in ACP1, including Symbol, Color, Symbol size, and Common index.
- Added support for 'All' in Slicers.
- You can add/append/insert/delete/reorder elements in a list. See Creating_an_index#Editing_a_list:
- Up, Down arrows with Ctrl and Shift
- Insert or Ctrl+I
- shift+Click to select multiple cells
- Double click a cell then drag to reorder
- Delete or Backspace
- Enter and Escape.
- You can set result tables or graphs to calculate and appear automatically when you open a tab or window in ACP using Autocalc in the ACP_Style_library or setting Proactive_Evaluation in Desktop Analytica. This replaces the ACPstyles from ACP1: calc_on_open and auto_recalc_results.
Features not (yet) in ACP3
ACP3 does not support all the features of ACP1 or Browse-mode features of desktop Analytica. Here's what's not yet there:
For security reasons, ACP3 has these limits on file access functions:
- SpreadsheetOpen and therefore all spreadsheet functions on our Lumina ACP server.
- Functions that read or write files (like ReadTextFile) can read from and writing to only your own model folder (in a group plan, from the current Project folder).
- Functions that read data files (like ReadTextFile) can read files from the user's computer (i.e., the file contents is uploaded into your model's memory)
- Functions that write data files (like WriteTextFile) have an option to download the file to the user's computer, as opposed to saving it on the server's file system.
Tables and graphs
- Tables with a comparison index or with comparison variables don't display the columns like they do in Desktop Analytica and ACP1.
- No support for the result style "Table above graph" and "Graph above table" previously in ACP1.
- Dynamic arrows are gray with a black arrowhead. The arrow head part is not gray as it is in ACP1 and in Desktop Analytica.
ACP User interface
ACP Front End
- In ACP1 you cannot delete the Home project in a group account. In ACP3 it is possible, but you should not. It may break access to the account at least temporarily.
- No prompt when you are uploading a file with the same name as one that is already present. ACP3 just overwrites the file.
- No prompt asking you if you want to save changes before closing the model.
CloudPlatformStyles are called AcpStyles. These styles are not supported or have been removed:
- The Minimum Resolution setting in the ACP Style library.
Top_diagram_onlyAcpStyle flag .
Message_box_location: x, y
- In Frame nodes and Tall nodes:
- For hover ballons,
- For hover ballons,
- Styles for individual nodes:
screen_width: 999, and
Features not included in ACP3
- We do not plan to support RunConsoleProcess in ACP3 for security reasons.
- Showwindow() does not work with Tabbed navigation - only with outline navigation style
Known Bugs in the current release which we have yet to fix
- Inability to delete projects in a Group plan - once the project has been used to play a model.
- ACP throws a blank warning message when viewing a table with empty undefined table cells. (Desktop Analytica does not).
- An issue where sometimes clicking [OK] to a Question asking if you want to edit the definition - does not go to the definition.
- For some models scroll bars are not sensitive to browser zoom settings. I.e. if you zoom in to where you cannot see the entire diagram.
- If a model has only 1 diagram, no way yet to exit the Acp Style library and go back to the top model diagram when it's been added from the Hamburger menu, if you select Outline or Top diagram only Navigation style. You would need to refresh ACP or save the model and reopen.
Enhancements to ACP
Lists of enhancements and fixes by the build date when they were implemented.
3.1 Build 73:May 3 2022
- Set the limit for Auto-zoom to not expand or contract a model by more than a factor of 2 -- i.e. down to 50% or up to 200%. If it doesn't fit at 50% it shows scroll bars.
- Improved the functionality for ReadBinaryFile() and ReadImageFile() upload capability. ReadBinaryFile() now prompts the user to upload a file.
3.1 Build 70:Apr 21 2022
- Added an AcpSstyle
Hide_save_button: yes / nowhich hides Close menu items for 'Save this model' and 'Save model as...'.
- Added an AcpStyle
auto_zoom_diagrams: yes / noZooms the diagram to fit the browser window.
- Updated the Acp Style library to include functionality for setting these 2 styles.
- Added functionality for module level OnClicks when clicking on Top / Side tabs
- For group accounts, added the ability for reviewers to upload spreadsheets and text files - this was present in ACP1.
- Improved the tooltips and icons in embedded tables and graphs when using Auto zoom.
3.1 Build 66:Apr 14 2022
- Automatically zoom the UI in or out to fit the browser window -- the most constraining of width or height so it retains the aspect ratio.
- Tabs momentarily show white when clicked to give visual feedback to the user.
- Many refinements to Tooltips and help balloons.
- Highlight the title region when you mouse-over a frame node or tall node.
3.1 Build 61:Mar 22 2022
- Implemented blue links to variables in tables.
- Added a visual click response for Icons in Frame nodes and Tall nodes
- Added a color change on mouseover for toolbar tabs and ACP tabs to indicate they are clickable.
- Added Tooltips when you mouseover any of the icons in frame nodes or Tall nodes.
- Added a Tooltip for the uncertainty view selector.
- Decreased the display time for certain result tables in Tall nodes.
3.1 Build 59:February 21 2022
- Added download CSV capability for tables
3.1 Build 56:January 29 2022
- Added Copy table / Copy graph button tor Edit tables, result tables and graphs - similar to ACP1.
3.1 Build 55:Janualry 14 2022
- When edit table has proactivelyevaluate set to 16, it will accept new entries without clicking the green check button.
- Added the 'Add Acp Style library' option to the Options menu. So you can edit AcpStyles in ACP.
3.1 Build 51:December29 2021
- Added the table/graph button for tables and graphs in top/side tabs.
3.1 Build 50:November22 2021
- Added the Organization/Group name next to the Project name in the top toolbar
- Hierarchy bar now includes the top level module name in AcpStyles#Navigation_style non-tabbed views - eg Outline or top diagram only.
- Added the ability to use Proactive_Evaluation#Proactively_submitting_changes_to_a_table proactive evaluation for choice lists inside an edit table.
- For dedicated ACP servers, added a way to turn off "self sign up" of individual accounts.
Build 0.45:October30 2021
- Glow hover highlight AcpStyle has been deprecated. It has been removed from the ACP style library and from the wiki. But the AcpStyle still works for models which incorporate it.
- Deprecated the Add_scroll_bars AcpStyle. It has no effect. Scroll bars will show when necessary (ie when the browser window is not large enough to show the diagram)Removed from the ACP style library.
- Added a new ? menu just to left of Close/save menu containing these options:
- -ACP Online docs -- opens Analytica wiki page for ACP.
- -Analytica Q&A Forum -- opens the Analytica Forum page
- -Tech support ... (moved from the Close menu).
- Added the Units to Tall node result views
- Speed up the display of very large tables.
Build 0.44:October12 2021
- The Go To Parent Diagram button has been deprecated. It has also been removed from the ACP Style library along with the AcpSstyle Show_parent_diagram_button and Parent_diagram_button_coordinates:x,y.
- New functionality for the Diagram tab. With Outline Navigation style, when viewing a diagram, clicking the Diagram tab moves you up to the parent diagram. Replaces the parent diagram button.
- The Acpstyle show_title: yes/no was implemented for tall nodes.
- Enhancement to the Hierarchy stripe. The last item (current view) is shown in bold.
- All frame node AcpStyles were implemented at the variable level (not yet for edit tables). More here.
Build 0.40:August 18 2021
- Minor enhancement to text input boxes when they have focus.
- Fixed a bug where Scroll bars were not visible or only partially visible
- Changed the appearance of "You are about to timeout" message box to match other message boxes.
- When Model title is shown in the top teal bar, the Main module now reads "Main"
- Changed a Sub table with a single text cell to show as a text input field rather than as a table in tall nodes.
Build 0.39:August 9 2021
- Added visual feedback when a formnode button is clicked.
- Removed unnecessary scroll bars.
- Sort projects pulldown menu alphabetically (instead of chronologically).
- Make border thinner for Module nodes.
- Change defaults for show_uncertainty_view ( show by default even when mid value is last viewed).
- Change to show_index_menus:no AcpSstyle setting. Now shows slicer indexes by default even with the AcpStyle Show_index: No.
- Added AcpStyle Show_index_menus: Not_even_slicers (if you want to remove the slicers).
- Add support for Show_uncertainty_view: no/yes for individual nodes. Previously a model level AcpStyle.
Build 0.38:July 13 2021
- Improved entering text into a text field - no need to use the mouse to select the exact position of the cursor.
Build 0.37:July 7 2021
- Added the AcpStyle option: Show_graph_table_icon: No.
- Put the empty Index for pivoter menus as last in the list instead of first.
- Added code to not show the balloon description for Frame or tall nodes when it is already showing its description.
- Implemented AcpStyle Show_description:No/Yes for Tall nodes (Preciously implemented for Framenodes).
Build 0.36:July 3 2021
- Added support for show_as_tab: No for non - top diagram modules.
- Fixed a problem where Close model after Save model crashed.
- Speed up the displaying of large tables.
Build 0.35:July 1 2021
- Implemented show_index_menus: yes/no for the model's top level AcpStyle
- Added ACP help and Tech support options to the Close menu.
- Removed quotes for from text in cells that are specified as text only format.
- Subtables with single text cells were changed to show as a text field instead of as a table in tall nodes.
- Multichoice - added support to click below, above, or to the left of the menu to accept the change.
- Multichoice - Changed a A tall multichoice user input node to display as a list selection.
Build 0.34:June 18 2021
- Implemented a session timeout after 30 minutes of inactivity. With a warning after 25 minutes.
- Replaced the fly-in pivoters with simply showing or hiding Index menus and pivoters.
- Tweaking the margins in Frame nodes and Tall nodes around tables and graphs and rounding the corners..
- Icons for the Table/Graph toggle and for pivoters/index menus now appear only when you mouseover a Tall node or Frame node.
Build 0.33:May 30 2021
- Added support for showing index menus in Tall result graphs
- Fixed a bug where descriptions were not showing for edit tables in Frame nodes.
- Added support for the Table/graph toggle button in Tall nodes.
- Decreased the time to render Graphs.
Build 0.32:May 14 2021
- For row pivoters in frame nodes or tall nodes, they no longer show unless "show_index_menus: yes" is set. They still show for tables in the Table tab.
- The hover highlight was removed from 'Tall nodes'.
- Set fly-in pivoters to appear for a graph only when you hover over the pivoter chevrons.
Build 0.31: Apr 29 2021
- Changed the Close Menu items for clarity.
- Added support for 'All' in Result Graph Slicers.
- Some more minor improvements in the appearance of result graphs and tables in frame nodes.
- Fixed a bug where 'All' did not stick when chosen in some choice menus.
Build 0.30: Apr 22 2021
- Improved the mouseover highlight effect in diagrams with various background colors.
- Improved the appearance and fit of tables and graphs within framenodes.
- In result views, changed the inputs location to the left of the Uncertainty view menu.
Build 0.29: Apr 10 2021
- Implemented support for the option After Publishing: 'open model in Acp' in the publish to cloud - publish model dialog.
Build 0.28: Apr 3 2021
- Added the ability to sort Table columns and rows, and to show or hide totals Tables in ACP.
- The attribute 'CloudPlatformStyles' was changed to 'AcpStyle'.
- Added syntax coloring for definitions in the Object tab. Syntax coloring.
- Added logging for sessions and Model opening. (To be documented soon).
Build 0.26: Mar 5 2021
- Changed the default behavior to show the model title by default.
- Added the CloudPlatformStyle flag "Show_uncertainty_view: yes" (replaces Hide_uncertainty_view: no), and "Show_uncertainty_view: no".
Build 0.25: Feb 22 2021
- Added a progress bar while loading a model. and stopped the display of model internals while loading.
- Added support for ShowProgressBar - except for the [OK] button to clear the dialog.
Build 0.24: Feb 18 2021
- Cloud Platform Styles flag "Hide_uncertainty_view: no". This forces the uncertainty views of result tables or graphs to be present. Used in the CloudPlatformStyle of the top level module ie the model.
- If a variable is showing Mid view, then the uncertainty selector does not show - same as in Acp1.
- Added the ability to add/append/insert/delete/reorder elements in a list
Build 0.23: Feb 6 2021
- Signin: Changed the message shown to a new user without a password if they press 'Get a new password' to make it less confusing.
Build 0.22: Feb 2 2021
- Implemented support for "Publish to cloud..." subject to some limitations mentioned below.
- Updated the message shown when there is an error establishing a connection. Basically, refresh the browser and try again.
- Added support for EMF images.
- Added REST method handlers , so that you can implement REST methods as UDFs in a model.
- The [Read|Write][Text|Binary|Export|Image]File() functions are now enabled in ACP3. These file functions only allow access to your own project folder.
- When an Individual ACP account is created, the Rent vs Buy example model is included in the Model listing.
- Enhancements to the appearance of Graph Tooltips, Message Boxes and Buttons.
- For Group accounts, added the Project name to the right of the User name in the top Banner.
- Improved the appearance of the Upload Progress bar when uploading models.
- Enhancements to the Login page
ACP Sessions and Calculation
For now, there is:
- no limit on RAM per session.
- no time limit on computations. It's possible that a very long computation could cause ACP to become unresponsive. In ACP1 computations were limited to 60 seconds in Individual accounts.
- Some evaluation time warnings are not shown in the browser. For instance if you show a table with an invalid result.